Thursday 30 May 2019

Thursday 30 May -  Camino Island
We have anchored here so that hordes of young fit people from every sector of the globe can climb , swim, snorkel , jet boat, to their hearts content for an hour before reboarding, cold and very wet for the hour's sail back to Malta. And me? I disembarked, took one look at the steep rocky terrain, and decided I'd sooner have my free glass of wine, and write to you. Peter disembarked , lept over the rocks, took 2 photos of the rocks on the other side, and is now tucked up happy and content with his audio book. I have no idea whether he wakes or sleeps. He's certainly not moving.

We awoke in our cute little b and b in Marsalforn to a cold wet morning, and were very pleased to wander downstairs to a comprehensive Maltese breakfast including gluten free food and 4 types of homemade marmalade. We chattered with a diving man from Switzerland and a French couple. Other guests kept to themselves.
The hop-on-hop-off bus was not scheduled to call in at our stop till 11.00am, but we were there half an hour early. Marsalforn was endearing last evening, but not at all compelling this morning in these conditions.
It was a short trip through to the capital, Rabat, so we disembarked and started our search for this Citadel and that Cathedral. Truly, I have no idea what we should be looking at and which alleyway to choose. None of the imposing buildings with ringing bells were open, so I took some photos of a few, but then settled for a coffee and a gf muffin I was given for breakfast.
A stallholder lured me with his magnificent Maltese lace tablecloths.  I had carefully measured my mother-in-law's old table which I still use, had written the measurements closed and extended, had brought a tape measure so was all prepared for my purchase. I had put my preparations in a safe place  , and there they remain. In the rain, shortly before our next bus was departing, I just had to guess, pay the happy vendor whatever he asked, and run. Let's hope noone spills beetroot juice on it.
We toured around the western side of Gozo but were nervous about getting off in the rain for photos. Every where we looked was so biblical! We have not experienced anything like it in former travel.
The babble is increasing in our deck of the ferry, as cold wet tourists are returning from their Camino experiences. How can people come in such a variety of guises and make so many different noises? Funnily enough we have been recognized as Kiwis by numbers of people on our tours. I guess because we're the only normal, ordinary people around. One of my funniest experiences today was with 4 Jamaican women in a public toilet. There were 4 toilets but, you guessed it, 3 were out of order, as they always are. Well, these 4 had me in stitches. They were so theatrical and their singing was very Harry Belafonte. They were dressed in full regalia with magnificently beaded braids. I didn't mind the wait at all.
We seem to be moving off, so I'll say Haere ra  to Gozo, and thanks for all the fish.

2 comments: