Friday 24 May 2019

Friday 24 May  -  Syracuse
I am running a bit behind with my diary entries.I'll cat h up on the remainder of yesterday when we were taken to Modica, renowned for making a unique chocolate without butter or milk. Curious. We watched the process in Sicily's oldest factory, the Dolceria Bonajuto. I was astonished that I liked the couple of samples that I had, only to find out they weren't chocolate at all, but nougat which they also make. Nobody told me.
We had half an hour to fill in before another Siciluan dinner so Peter and I sauntered down the medieval street into a sportswear shop. Peter was approached by a charming Sicilian lass who talked him into buying an elegant suade jacket and matching scarf. Definitely worth a photo shoot with the very smart salesgirl and her sister. By the time he'd had two glasses of vino before dinner he was just the happiest chappy.
This morning dawned bright and clear and off we drove to Noto, yet another beautiful historic centre rebuilt in the early 18th century after the devastating 1693 earthquake. Our guide was one of Sicily's most famous named SLvatore. Oh how it suited him. He is doing three tours with us today morning in Noto, afternoon in the archaeological site of Syracuse and this evening in Ortigia Island housing the Apollo temple, the oldest Doric Temple in Sicily. This to be followed by yet another pizza feast. I'll have to stop here to change for the evening.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that blouse you bought in Monreale is a size XL with all the vino, nougat, gelato and pizza being consumed 😊😊

    ReplyDelete