Tuesday 27 June 2017

Vancouver Island:  Day 8
We just had to take the opportunity of a flight in a twin Otter. The flight to Vancouver Island was a mere 35 minutes quite apart from the thrill of the scenic experience . We had perfect conditions and found ourselves transported to an Akaroa type village. I had rung our airbnb host the day before as I always like to touch base with people rather than relying on abstract impersonal digital communication .  It was just as well. Of course 517 is next door to 533 down Theatre Alley. Where else would you find it. What a cutie place it is. Perfect for us for one night and again at a fraction of the price of commercial accommodation
The village is just so pretty all dressed up for the summer and the 150th birthday party this coming weekend .
After an astonishingly fattening lunch we set off for the Empress Hotel from where our Butchart Garden tour left and there was the coach. Not the one I'd booked, but hey, let's get on board. The drive was about 30 mins into the countryside and there we were. Incredible! Us at the Butchart Gardens!!! Amazing. I hope you have all seen the area on screen. I took a ridiculous number of photos and then tried to select a few for fb. But you'll never understand the splendour until you see it for yourself. I had intended staying through the evening to see it all floodlit for the summer but it was just too cold so we returned on the 6pm coach. A shame but I had the wrong clothes on. I have packed all my merino for the train trip . Why didn't I wear it? That's it. Pack away the summer garb and wrap up.
When we arrived back at the Victoria waterfront we met a couple from Arizona who were even colder than we were so the four of us went for dinner together .  How interesting !!! I've never talked to anyone from Arizona. And THAT is the thrill of travel is it not. 🙄

1 comment:

  1. Its all that global warming nonsense. We were there in late May in Vancouver and it was very warm - summer clothes. We only resorted to more wintry things as we went inland through to Banff - and when we went up some mountains on tram/trolley things.

    ReplyDelete