Sunday 17 July 2016

Sat 16th: Kununurra - Katherine.
An event I have not included so far in this blog is the arrival of an additional passenger on our coach in the form of an invisible gastric bug who alighted on various travellers. This morning it was my turn I was victim #12. However the coach took the bug and me at 7.30 as scheduled on a 5 10 km ride.
The first excitement was crossing the boundary into the Northern Territory.  There was very thorough bio - search of all vehicles driving into the area but noone was remotely interested in our coach leaving it. We all put our watches forward 1 1/2 hours making only a 2 1/2 hour difference from NZ. It was what we regard as a long tedious drive to reach Katherine, but our driver says they can do 1,000 km a day, so this was a tiddler. I did note the lack of change of scenery each time I surfaced..
Finally we reached Katherine which is the 4th largest city in the Northern Territory with a population of 10,700. Points of interest are the Australian Air Force Base (seriously significant) and the railway station for the Ghan train. So Peter and I were back on familiar territory now having been here about 8 years ago. There are also traffic lights here!!! And we had to stop for them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment