Friday 8 July 2016

Fri 8 July
I crept out of bed while Peter was still snoring and ran down to Cable Beach to see the camels assembling ready for the sunrise rides. There were about three seats vacant. If only I had grabbed my credit card I could have joined the trek!! Of course the next two days are fully booked being the weekend. Hi-de-Ho. I trundle back to join Peter for breakfast, and off we set for our adventures.
There is a bus that circuits Broome every half hour so for $10 we could buy an all day ticket. It was so INTERESTING going around all the resorts and then off into the CBD. First port of call was the I-site for maps. The only wifi centres were the library and Macdonald so we trudged around in the searing heat to get to Macdonalds,  coffee, pineapple and coffee loaf plus wifi. By the time we had caught up with our NZ business, it was even hotter, but Peter had his own agenda so off we went. Planes had landed at strategic spots so sites needed to be visited and photographed. It wasn't all bad as we had stumbled into the famed pearl centre. WOW!!! I have never seen pearl jewellery comparable. With one flash of my credit card I could have paid the deposit on any one of incredible pieces. Just magnificent to behold. Then we found the Pearl farm I will be touring tomorrow so it was great to have a quiet introduction to it.
Then back on the bus to the Museum which was splendid. Peter was enthralled by all the aviation history while I was absorbed by the ruthless history of pearling.
Back into town by bus and refreshed by a mango smoothie. Then back on the next bus to get ready for our meet and greet with our tour group. There's 32 of us, all over 60 Australians and another couple of kiwis whom we didn't find. Complimentary bubbles followed by a three course dinner in the Sunset Bar. We have a very sociable female tour guide who was ever so obliging but not organised at all.
Peter didn't want to waste his time tomorrow on pearls and chose a far more appropriate hovercraft option. All was fine until we were informed that one of the craft has broken down, so there will be two trips tomorrow,  one leaving at 5.40 am and the next at 6.40 am. Mercifully Peter has been drafted on to the later one which is still far too early for that owl. Such a shame. My pearl tour starts at 10.00 am. Aren't I the lucky one.
We have been warned that we'll be beyond wifi contact range for the trip so I may not be talking to you again until Darwin on 18 July.. I have brought a diary and a pen so will keep a record of events by pen and paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment