Wednesday 29 July 2015

29 July: Last day in Europe
After Peter's 20,000 steps in search of old planes yesterday we thought it wise to confine ourselves to the hop-on-hop-off adventure on the 3 lines around Budapest. Those of you on FB will have seen various photos of different examples of architecture at this stage of the city's reconstruction. The day started cold and overcast and deteriorated as it wore on, so we hopped off. Peter decided to have a blob out afternoon. We have a big day tomorrow flying to Dubai arriving there at midnight then having to get ourselves to yet another Airbnb.
That gave me a perfect opportunity to skive off into the long tourist street behind us here. Just one of the things I found was an organ recital at St Michael's Church. Yes I thought, let's go to that. So when he woke up Peter found himself visiting yet another incredible old church first built in 1230. It has the all too familiar history of buildings throughout Hungary and has been under restoration since 1999. I only wish I had thought to take my camera. The concert was an hour long ending with Bach's Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor. As we were coming out I found Peter trying to buy a CD of it from someone in the Church.  Twenty years on and I've just discovered Peter's love of organ music. Fortunately I rescued him before he bought a disk. I have just that in my cabinet at home and play it at full volume when he goes out. Now I can start playing it when he's home.
What better way to end the day than a bottle of wine in an Italian restaurant.
Goodbye Budapest. It's been great discovering you.  ðŸ˜Š

1 comment:

  1. What a great farewell to Budapest! Off now to find that organ music on Spotify. Good luck for the Dubai leg. Looking forward to the travel tales over coffee.

    ReplyDelete