Saturday 18 July 2015

18 July: Prague
Today Peter needed to inspect the Prague Aviation Museum so I bundled him into a taxi, waved him goodbye and started to explore. Those of you on Facebook will see some of the sights that enthralled me. The embellishments of the buildings is something way beyond anything I've experienced.
I had determined to do a horse and carriage circuit but wanted to share a carriage (and cost). Niet! However I saw another woman on her own and instantly befriended her. She was Russian so we jumped on board together and clopped our way around the tourist block. When we returned the Central square was bursting with music and festivity. Add to that a wedding causing the cathedral carillion to add its tribute and you'll be able to envisage the joyous atmosphere. One riotous party!!!
Peter rang in the afternoon having soaked up the thrill of old aircraft but unable to get home. So I ordered a taxi from our hotel to go and rescue him. That worked. You can solve anything if you throw enough Czech crowns at it.
In my wanderings I had found our Avalon organisers and collected our initial documentation. The whole group of 160 tourists met at 6.00 for an introductory briefing. We sat in the front row in order to see and hear - next to a couple from Howick! Unbelievable isn't it. Away, we go at 8.30 tomorrow morning with a tour of the castle. I was disappointed that 3 of the days of our cruise were spent land-locked in Prague. However there are optional tours offered morning, noon and night for further Czech crowns so we'll finish up knowing far more about Prague than we discovered about Salzburg. We are actually looking forward to being looked after again and having someone else do our thinking for 11 days.

3 comments:

  1. Prague is stunning and has plenty to offer you for three days. One of the few cities of Europe to have never been trashed by war so the gorgeous old buildings remain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read your blog for a few weeks. Rediscovered it while I was trying out numerous iPad tricks from an app I downloaded. The upcoming cruise should be wonderfully relaxing after you have had to find your own way recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, are you seeing the comments on your blogs? I would love to see a photo on Facebook of you with all your luggage. Your are doing an amazing trip; how are you standing up?

    ReplyDelete