Monday 9 July 2018

Day 21: Helsinki
So what happened to the remainder of last night's blog? You'll think I fell asleep in the middle of a sentence. No, but of course today I have no idea what else I had written. Oh yes, I do remember the final dinner with the group last night. That was lovely. Everyone was in very bright spirits and our lovely tour guide thanked us profusely for being one of her best groups ever. It was an excellent group I must say. Let's hope all of today's gets published. Mind you there's not a lot to report.

Peter set the alarm to make sure we did not sleep half the day away. Away we went with me glued to mapsme to make sure I can operate it. We got to the railway station (a 20 min walk) and Peter settled in to organising his trip to the Military Aviation Museum tomorrow.  It involves two train trips the first leaving at 7.15am. No, I am not going with him. Coming back at the end of the day he can catch a direct route. I had decided to get myself to Porvoo while he was doing his thing but the guided tour (which I would need) only goes on Wednesday. So that's when I'm going then. Bought my ticket for that by which time we needed a recuperative coffee.

That gave us the strength to walk into the Market Square where there was a cinema showing a 3D video of a flight over Helsinki. Peter was thrilled with it but I decided not to upset my equilibrium. That all required more coffee, after which we boarded a #2 tram and rode out into the suburbs and back again.

The afternoon was still young so I chose to walk down to Stockmans Department store ( think Harrods) and do the sales. I tucked Peter up in a coffee bar and left him with a decadent donut, and sallied forth. There is no way that my handful of euros would have stretched that far, but fortunately there was absolutely nothing I fancied. The Finnish styles are so very different.  I'll try Mark's and Sparks tomorrow,  if I can operate mapsme all alone.

Now let's hope this blog records properly.

1 comment:

  1. Talking of different styles, I also have a memory of the market by the water - can't remember if it was Saturday - full of hand knitted beanies except they weren't beanies, they had plaits and ears and every other imagine able decoration to help them laugh away their winters, I presume. Needless to say I didn't buy one!

    ReplyDelete