Wednesday 20 June 2018

Day 2: Stockholm
Again our day started at 4.00am with the sun streaming in our window. I just had to get up and take some photos to share the phenomenal sight with you. Then back for our early morning cuppa and smartphone catch-up. Let's hope this routine does not continue. It's a tad wearing. My choice of activity for the morning was the ABBA museum - not because I'm a particular fan but because I couldn't face my friends asking if I'd seen it.
We had to taxi over and en route we drove past the awesome bronze of Freya, the Nordic goddess of war. Our obliging driver did an illegal photostop for me. I just had to capture her for my granddaughter Freya. There she stood with her falcon guarding the city. MAGNIFICENT!
The ABBA Museum was close at hand and we were there soon after it opened long before the crowds came rolling in off the flotilla of tour buses. It was lovely to have it all to ourselves. There were many rooms recording the development of the band and the audioguide was excellent. I just had to have a CD to bring home with me.
We boarded the next bus to cruise back on such a perfect day, but then discovered the huge CBD market so hopped off again to explore that. We had packed ourselves a lunch pilfered from breakfast and sat in the sun to people-watch. Instead of driving back we window shopped our way back to our hotel.
Peter had arranged to meet the chairman of the  of the European Property Federation who was extremely hospitable and the two of them compared tales of the legislation of rental property on a global scale. I found all this just so interesting.
I'm sure the pair of them could have talked the rest of the day away but he was off to Eastonia and we had arranged to meet Lawrence, the younger son of Peter's friend whom we have come to visit. By then the weather had changed dramatically with the temperature dropping to 9C, gale force winds and rain setting in. Tomorrow  is the start of the midsummer public holiday weekend and the forecast is grim. We decided to have an early meal and seek shelter back at our hotel. We had a lovely dinner at The Hungry Duck down the street from us with the pub patrons all glued to the World Cup.
Another extremely successful day in Stockholm.

1 comment:

  1. 9 degrees - of course it is midsummer! Though I do remember a December conference in Christchurch with snow on the hills!

    ReplyDelete